My neighbor Diana bought this really cute vintage headboard that had a lot of wear on it. Ya we could paint it and it would have been cute as a button. .. but then the light bulb went off what about a ruffled slipcover? (I heard angles sing!!!)
TADA!!! Ruffles Ruffles and more ruffles. Isn't she pretty!! I love the way she turned out. I have to say though she was a bear to make. I bribed my mom with homemade chicken and dumplins to come over after church and help me. She is a really good seamstress and I needed all of her help. I know I couldn't have done it without her. We started out pinning the fabric on the headboard then cutting but mom said we should make a template. Since it was a twin I just used some left over Christmas wrapping paper laid the bed on it traced around it then cut it out. Then placed my fabric under my wrapping paper template and cut the fabric. Next we made and attached the ruffles. I used gathering tape to make the ruffles I thought it would be stronger since it will have heads against it the ruffles needed to be sturdy.
Since the headboard was round I couldn't go all the way to the seam with ruffles because they would have stuck straight out and that would have looked weird. I opted for stopping as close as I could finishing out the top layer with a trim that I made out of the same fabric. I topped it off with a rosette accented with buttons.
I'm not gonna lie this was a little hard for me and without my mom I wouldn't have been able to complete this project. This is my first headboard slip. I think next time I'll do a square one. Even though it was difficult it was worth all the effort. I think it is just adorable. I can just see it with pinks and greens mismatch chenille and lace bedding awww love it!!! Well she's off to the shop hopefully to be bought for a sweet little girl's room. This makes me a little sad because I'm kinda of attached to it. Ha